Re: Error on SVG homepage

On Tuesday, July 10, 2007, 10:05:01 PM, David wrote:

DW> Chris Lilley wrote:

>> that img is an empty element. Its not part of the image url. It does
>> not indicate malformed html.

DW> It is malformed HTML.

Actually, no.

DW> It is served as text/html,

as allowed by XHTML 1.0

DW> and XHTML in
DW> Appendix C compatibility mode

 (non-normative)

DW> relies on typical browser handling
DW> of malformed HTML [A] (which doesn't, in general, generate the same
DW> parse tree as a real XHTML user agent).

So, making it non-well-formed by omitting the trailing slash on an empty element would improve things, in your opinion?

DW> It shouldn't cause a problem on mainstream browsers, but it is not
DW> valid,

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Overview.html

  "This Page Is Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict!"

DW>  and there is an increasing belief in the HTML community that
DW> Appendix C mode was a very bad idea.

Now, there I agree. Appendix C was tremendously short sighted.

DW> [A] and mishandle technically valid, but rarely supported HTML features.

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG