Re: SVG Viewer

Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:
> Ensure that your web application is standards based, and it 'should'
> work in more than one SVG viewer.
>
> In fact it should work in all standards compliant viewers, however at
> the present time not all viewers comply with any one standard, and many
> viewers for good reasons support particular functionality in addition to
> their chosen standard.

The problem is, there are a lot of applications out there, i fear,
that are geared towards adobe svg viewer browser plugin. AFAIK, this
is the only plugin that works on several platforms, and directly
from the browser. None of the other viewers I know of work on most
browsers / most platforms (eg. firefox, epiphany, ie on mac, linux
and ms).

My concern is, that with the drop of adobe's support for svg (and
their implementation), a lot of people will abandon svg just like we
are currently contemplating doing. I myself prefer to use svg,
because it is a w3c standard, but i'm not alone in my team.

A further problem is that browser native support for svg is
non-existant / immature. This makes it hard to port existing svg
applications to those platforms (or even impossible in the case of
ie). Especially so because of the scripting going on behind the scenes.

I am curious about other opinions on this issue (or maybe it is not
an issue for you at all?).

Best,

Koen Martens