Re: SVG Viewer

Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:

> Ensure that your web application is standards based, and it 'should'
> work in more than one SVG viewer.
>
> In fact it should work in all standards compliant viewers, however at
> the present time not all viewers comply with any one standard, and many
> viewers for good reasons support particular functionality in addition to
> their chosen standard.

The problem is, there are a lot of applications out there, i fear,
that are geared towards adobe svg viewer browser plugin. AFAIK, this
is the only plugin that works on several platforms, and directly
from the browser. None of the other viewers I know of work on most
browsers / most platforms (eg. firefox, epiphany, ie on mac, linux
and ms).

My concern is, that with the drop of adobe's support for svg (and
their implementation), a lot of people will abandon svg just like we
are currently contemplating doing. I myself prefer to use svg,
because it is a w3c standard, but i'm not alone in my team.

A further problem is that browser native support for svg is
non-existant / immature. This makes it hard to port existing svg
applications to those platforms (or even impossible in the case of ie).

Best,

Koen Martens