Re: SVGT 1.2: Appendix E, Requirement 12, Identify Deprecated Features

Sent on behalf of Jon Ferraiolo:

Eric,
Thanks for pointing out that the Last Call spec failed to list
deprecated
features. Although there might be 18 occurrences of the word
"deprecate", there
are only a small number of deprecated features.

Here is the list of deprecated features that we have found:

* In the list of events within the Interactivity chapter, the following
event
names have been deprecated: SVGLoad, SVGResize, SVGScroll and SVGZoom.
In order
to achieve backwards compatibility with SVG 1.1 content, user agents
must
support these deprecated events. The deprecation aspect is that the Tiny
1.2
specification tells content developers to use the alternate event names
instead
(load, resize, scroll, zoom).

* The value "text/ecmascript" has been deprecated for the 'type'
attribute on
the 'svg:script' element. This deprecation occurred because the MIME
type
registration for ECMAScript has only happened recently and the SVG 1.0
specification guessed the wrong about what string would be chosen
ultimately. In
order to achieve backwards compatibility with old content, user agents
are
required to support the old value. The deprecation aspect is that the
Tiny 1.2
specification tells content developers to not use this value.

(NOTE: In looking at the wording in the Last Call spec, the LC draft
says the
UAs *should* support "text/ecmascript". To promote interoperability, we
have
change the *should* to *must*.)

(NOTE: In researching this issue, we discovered an incompatibility in
the spec.
The text in the interactivity chapter talks about a user agent that only
supports SVG-t 1.2, but a different part of the spec says that SVG-t 1.2
UA must
support SVG-t 1.1 content. Therefore, we have modified the interactivity
remove language that refers to a UA that only supports SVG-t 1.2.)

There is also a warning in the spec that the 'id' attribute is likely to
be
deprecated in the future. Since that deprecation hasn't happened yet, we
do not
feel it is appropriate to list this in the list of deprecated features.

Thanks for your comment. If you are unsatisfied with this response, then
please
let us know within two weeks.

Jon Ferraiolo
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Member SVG WG

From: Eric Seidel <eseidel@apple.com
<mailto:eseidel@apple.com?Subject=Re%3A%20SVGT%201.2%3A%20Appendix%20E%2
C%20Requirement%2012%2C%20Identify%20Deprecated%20Features&In-Reply-To=%
253C086102D1-6B92-430A-B1FE-7F6E955C264F%40apple.com%253E&References=%25
3C086102D1-6B92-430A-B1FE-7F6E955C264F%40apple.com%253E> >