From: Maciej Stachowiak [mailto:mjs@apple.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 01, 2006 11:34 AM
To: Jon Ferraiolo
Cc: Ian Hickson; www-svg@w3c.org
Subject: Re: [SVGMobile12] SVGT12-207: <textArea> redundant with HTML

On Mar 1, 2006, at 10:37 AM, Jon Ferraiolo wrote:

>  Also, <textArea> is not a new feature with the 3rd Last Call, so
> your comment
> is out of the scope of feedback which we have solicited. The 3rd Last
> Call was announced with the following words: "The purpose of this
> third
> Last Call is to allow reviewers to verify that their comments have
> been
> included as agreed by the SVG Working Group, it is not intended as a
> new, general review period."

Please address Ian's comment on the substance. The W3C Process says:

"Starting with a Last Call review up to the transition to Proposed
Recommendation, a Working Group must formally address any substantive
review comment about a technical report and should do so in a timely
manner."

http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr.html#doc-reviews

The W3C Process does not appear to allow limiting the scope of a Last
Call, or indeed to allow limiting the scope of comments addressed
even up to the PR stage. (It does say a working group "the Working
Group may decline to make substantive changes to address issues
raised between the end of a Last Call review period and publication
of a Recommendation"

In fact the W3C process does not even allow having another Last Call
immediately after a Last Call draft fails to proceed to CR. The W3C
Process says:

"The Working Group makes substantive changes to the technical report
at any time after a Last Call announcement and prior to Publication
as a Recommendation, except when the changes involve the removal of
features at risk identified in a Call for Implementations. In the
case of substantive changes, the Working Group must republish the
technical report as a Working Draft."

Please follow the W3C Process.

Regards,
Maciej