Re: SVG12: event base for audio/video/animation elements

* Doug Schepers wrote:
>Just to clarify, you're not asking us to change our use of
>"synchronization", but only the various spellings of "run-time", correct?  I
>will happily do this (I just did the same thing for "white space",
>"white-space", and "whitespace" ).  Is there a preferred term? I am inclined
>to go with "run time".

Yes, and use whatever SMIL 2.1 uses most.

>| The correct term is
>| "event-base element", not "Eventbase-element".
>
>Can you cite your rationale for preferring this variant? SMIL uses many
>variations, but the place we reference [1] says, "If the Eventbase-element
>term is missing, the event-base element is defined to be the target element
>of the animation."

It would be incorrect to refer to this text in the section on media
elements as media elements have no notion of an animation target. It
is indeed unfortunate that the SMIL specification does not make con-
sistent use of terms, but event value syntax is introduced by

  An Event value starts with an Eventbase-element term that specifies
  the /event-base element/.

which is clearly meant to introduce correct terminology and shows
that "Eventbase-element" is just a random symbol in a grammar, not
a formally defined term.