Re: [SVGMobile12] parseXML method needs clarification

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 18:16:18 +0200, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

> Erik Dahlström wrote:
>>     If during parsing a 'script' element is encountered, it must not be
>> executed at that time. Script execution is deferred until the returned
>> Document (or applicable parts thereof) is inserted into the contextDoc
>> document.
>
> A Document can't be inserted anywhere.  Presumably you mean that script
> execution is deferred until the 'script' element is inserted into the
> contextDoc document?

Ok, so would this wording satisfy you:
"If during parsing a 'script' element is encountered, it must not be
executed at that time. Script execution for that element is deferred until
it is inserted into the contextDoc document."

>>     If the contextDoc parameter is defined
>
> I'm not sure what "defined" means here.  The real distinction is whether
> it's null or not, right?  Why not just say that?
>
>> provided Document object. In effect when the contextDoc parameter is
>> specified
>
> Again, "not null" is probably better than "specified", since it can be
> specified to be null.

Ok, if that will make you happy then I'm fine with that.

>>         NOT_SUPPORTED_ERR: Raised if the type of node being imported is
>> not supported.
>
> "imported"?  What does that mean?

Leftovers from old days I presume, would the following wording be ok:
"NOT_SUPPORTED_ERR: Raised by importNode if the type of node being
imported is not supported."

>>         DOMException                INVALID_CHARACTER_ERR: Raised if
>> one of the imported names is not an XML name according to the XML
>> version in use specified in the Document.xmlVersion attribute. This may
>> happen when importing an XML 1.1 [XML 1.1] element into an XML 1.0
>> document, for instance."
>
> Same here.  It looks like these exceptions were copied from the
> importNode definition in DOM 3 Core; the descriptions make no sense in
> this context, though.

Is it ok as follows:
"INVALID_CHARACTER_ERR: Raised by importNode if
one of the imported names is not an XML name according to the XML
version in use specified in the Document.xmlVersion attribute. This may
happen when importing an XML 1.1 [XML 1.1] element into an XML 1.0
document, for instance."

Please feel free to suggest wording if the above doesn't address your
concerns.

Regards
/Erik