Re: SVG12: display:none elements should receive events

* Rick wrote:
>>   http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-SVGMobile12-20051207/painting.html states
>> that elements with a computed value of the display property of 'none' do
>> not receive events; this is a very bad idea, please remove this from the
>> draft. The intent is probably to say that as such elements are not part
>> of the rendering tree, they will not normally receive events that depend
>> on the elements beeing part of the rendering tree, which is obvious.
>
>I believe the intent here was to state that these elements recieve no
>pointer events, since they are not part of the 'rendering tree' and
>therefore have no geometry to trap these events.  Not that they are no
>longer valid elements in the xml tree.
>
>http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-SVGMobile12-20051207/painting.html#VisibilityControl
>
>I would suggest changing
>    if 'display' is set to none, the element receives no events;
>to:
>    if 'display' is set to none, the element receives no pointer-events;

This would still rule out using the standard DOM Events createEvent/
initEvent/dispatchEvent methods to dispatch such events to these event
targets. While these features are not required by SVG Tiny 1.2, it seems
unlikely that this was intended.