Re: [SVGMobile12] SVGT12-207: Why are UAs allowed to have varying definitions of "px"?

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Chris Lilley wrote:

> Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
>
> > According to section 7.3 The initial coordinate system, "the SVG user
> > agent should get its initial value for the size of a px unit in real world
> > units to match the value used for other XML styling operations".
> >
> > What reasons does the working group consider might justify implementors
> > ignoring this recommendation? If there are no such reasons, why is the
> > requirement not absolute? If there are requirements, could they be listed
> > in the draft explicitly?
>
> Operating systems vary in their ability to say what the display density
> is. Some do not provide such a call at all; others always return
> hard-coded or inaccurate values (72, 75, 96, 100 and 120 are popular
> values encountered).
>
> Therefore, a "should" seems appropriate here.

I was not debating whether it was appropriate or not. My request was to
have the specification list these points explicitly if there were any, or
to have the requirement strengthened if there were not.

Thus, your response does not satisfy my request.