RE: [SVGMobile12] listener element

Hi Robin,

Robin wrote:

> On Jan 12, 2006, at 21:38, Mark Birbeck wrote:
> > Do you have a reference for that? I'm a big supporter of XML Events
> > too, and I'm also a supporter of the changes you need for
> SVG. But as
> > with others on the list, I'd be keen to see those changes in XML
> > Events, rather than some kind of divergence take place.
>
> I don't have a pointer handy but I can probably come up with
> it. I very clearly recall you being at the joint meeting at
> some TP during which this was discussed and later agreed to :)

I am really intrigued to find out where this decision was taken.

It's true that I have been arguing for a few years for an update to XML
Events that takes on board QNames and the use of URIs in ev:observer. These
changes seem necessary to me, in order to support new types of web
applications.

But I can't think of what circumstances might have arisen where I would have
supported the incorporation of XML Events into another spec, accompanied by
the modification of its attributes in such a way that it ceases to be
compatible with the original XML Events. That would go against everything
that I have been arguing for and developing in the last three or four
years--and most particularly my work on compound documents--and I'm sure I
wouldn't have taken that lying down! ;)

So I support the requirement, but can't imagine when I would have supported
how you have gone about it.

Still...if there is a reference to some minutes where this happened, I won't
deny it!

Regards,

Mark

Mark Birbeck