Re: [SVGMobile12] more on data types

Hi all,

   I personally can't believe the WG has made this change.  It means that
no compliant
renderer can inform users that they have made a mistake because of course
they haven't
they have simply indicated to the UA to ignore the value of the attribute.

   Well, if we didn't have 'tag soup' before it will now quickly
proliferate.

www-svg-request@w3.org wrote on 01/10/2006 08:05:13 PM:

> My understanding is that invalid attribute values are "unknown" and thus
are
> ignored completely.

   If the version attribute on the 'svg' element is set to "1.2" then
(at least right now) they must be.  If the version attribute is not
set or is set to "1.1" then the user agent must go into error:

        http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/implnote.html#ErrorProcessing

    I personally was under the impression that the WG was trying to
define SVG 1.2 as largely a 'super set' of the SVG 1.1 specification.
Apparently however this is not the case, as the processing models of the
two would appear to be in fundamental conflict.

> C.2 Unsupported elements, attributes, properties, attribute values and
property
> values Conforming SVG User Agents must ignore unknown attributes,
attribute values,
> styling properties, styling property values, and descendant elements as
follows:

> Am I reading this correctly?
>
> Thus things like transform="scale(2) foobar(2) translate(2,3)" should be

> ignored completely.  (This has been brought up before and is an area
where
> FireFox and Safari currently disagree.)

        Then I guess FireFox is implementing some profile of SVG 1.1,
Safari
appears to be implementing SVG 1.2 Tiny/Mobile.

        Let the SVG viewer wars begin!

        Implementations are now free to add what ever new attributes &
elements they want without having to do anything pesky like indicate
that they are a proprietary extension by adding a namespace prefix,
safe in the knowledge that their competitors will ignore them with
no-one allowed to provide an embarrassing error message pointing out
that element 'foo' is really not part of SVG.  SVG is now ripe for
embrace and extend.

        Good Night and Good Luck!