Re: [SVGMobile12] more on data types

On Jan 10, 2006, at 4:08 PM, Jon Ferraiolo wrote:

> Bjoern,
> The statement unfair and inaccurate to say " The Working Group
> rejected the idea" when in our response (http://lists.w3.org/
> Archives/Public/www-svg/2005Apr/0156 ) to your "Microsyntaces"
> email we basically agreed with 3 of your 4 points, and we have now
> in the latest Last Call draft put in changes which at least
> partially addresses your fourth point via fixes to some of syntax
> definitions for SVG's properties, such as including the definition
> of color inline within the SVG spec.
>
> Regarding the lack of interoperability for the following content:
>
>   height="100 user units or so"
>
> I am over on the Jim Ley side of the argument about error handling.
> Don't put the burden on each implementation to have to validate
> each attribute value and don't slow down processing to perform this
> validation.

Validating attribute values while parsing is not a huge burden. This
is already done for CSS, and for HTML presentational attributes. I
can say with some confidence that it adds very little to the overall
parsing cost, having spent a lot of time optimizing WebKit page load
speed.

Interoperability is more important here -- we have a demonstration
that UA behavior varies. The spec clearly should specify what happens
with malformed attributes (which may already be true in the 1.2 tiny
spec for all I know, perhaps the document is "in error" and so should
give a fatal error display).

Regards,
Maciej