Re: [SVGM[obile12] requiredFormats psuedo MIME types

Hello www-svg,

 Tor writes:

> The format definition specifies MIME types, but then contradicts that
> just a paragraph later "Given that several important file formats are
> still not registered..."  Making up your own non-IANA/IETF pseudo MIME
> types seems ill-advised.

Agreed, although its more complex than that. Its not just that there are
missing media types (subtypes) - the response there is clearly to
register them - its also that there are missing top/level types (eg
font/* ) and uses that are not covered by the MIME top level types (like
script, and style). XSL, for example, is served as application/xml.

It might be easier to see by looking at this part of the spec in 1.2
Full,
  http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-SVG12-20041027/painting.html#requiredFormats
because that has more of the functional specifiers.

We are not encouraging use of non-registered types. On the other hand,
we were trying to disambiguate cases where the media type by itself is
ambiguous (eg some of the application/* types).

See for example the font format specifiers in CSS2
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/fonts.html#referencing

We are happy to make it clearer that we recommend registering new media
types.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG