Re: Is the px unit equivalent to user units?

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Jonathan Watt wrote:

> Will you also be saying that the presentation attributes should add a 'px' to
> unitless length values before they are mapped into the CSS style system?

It isn't necessary to say this. The CSS style system is strongly typed --
the values are not strings, but lengths. Any length, once parsed, is a
length. It is no longer a number followed by a unit identifier.

> I think this is important to make sure the value inherited or returned
> by getPresentationAttribute is consistent across implementations.

getPresentationAttribute() returns objects implementing the poorly
designed CSSValue interface, which has its own problems, including the
ambiguity regarding exactly what it represents. The CSSWG announced some
years ago that these interfaces were to be considered deprecated, and that
new interfaces would be forthcoming. Unfortunately we then got distracted
with making CSS2 match the real world, so the new interfaces aren't done
yet. The CSSValue problems need to be fixed independently of the unitless
length issue at hand.