RE: SVG12: trait access on illegal names

Bjoern,
Here is the exact text from the latest spec (http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/svgudom.html#svg::TraitAccess):

----------------
The trait setter methods will consider a value unsupported when it complies with the definition for an 'unsupported value'. This will result in a DOMException thrown with the NOT_SUPPORTED_ERR code.
----------------

So, what I think Robin was saying is that "+" is not defined as a legal value within the Tiny 1.2 spec, and thus is an "unsupported value", and therefore will raise an NOT_SUPPORTED_ERR DOMException.

I think the above text is clear and addresses the issue sufficiently, but it would be better to reword the above quote using "MUST" instead of "WILL", such as:

User Agents must implement the trait setter methods such that trait values which represent "unsupported values" {hyperlink to definition of "unsupported values"} result in a DOMException with the NOT_SUPPORTED_ERR code.

In response to your IFF below, I don't think we want to say that "...implementations are required to not support traits they are not required to support..." because that is bound to cause problems down the road when future versions of the language come out and might extend some of the trait definitions. Note that the DOM3 definition of NOT_SUPPORTED_ERR isn't about what a specification says, but instead what an implementation supports. Here is the exact quote (with capitalization added for emphasis):

NOT_SUPPORTED_ERR
    If the IMPLEMENTATION does not support the requested type of object or operation.

Jon