From: Bjoern Hoehrmann [mailto:derhoermi@gmx.net]
Sent: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 1:10 PM
To: Jon Ferraiolo
Cc: www-svg@w3.org
Subject: Re: SVG12: non-visual foreign markup

* Jon Ferraiolo wrote:
>In terms of changing the draft, we do not believe any changes are necessary
>relative to the topics in this email. (Although other comments from you are
>indeed resulting in changes.)

The issue I raised is that it is unclear how to include non-visual
foreign markup in SVG documents, in particular as the foreignObject
element seems to assume visual rendering. I think the draft either
needs to clearly define how to do that or explain why it does not;
so if there isn't a dedicated section in the draft that I missed
and you failed to point out, this is not satisfactory to me.

>Regarding audio, I am sure you are well-aware that SVG-t 1.2 has an 'audio'
>element. We strongly encourage content developers to specify audio via the
>'audio' element, which has the various attributes needed to control audio
>and synchronize it with the other time-based element and which will work
>interoperably so long as UAs support the given codec such as MP3, instead
>of specifying audio via 'foreignObject', which does not have the multimedia
>attributes that are often needed.

The <audio> element cannot be used to refer to non-visual foreign
markup, it can only be used to refer to complete external non-SVG
resources that are audible.