From: www-svg-request@w3.org [mailto:www-svg-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Jose Ignacio Villar
Sent: Sunday, January 01, 2006 10:50 AM
To: www-svg@w3.org
Subject: absolute coordinates on svg paths

Hi All,

Are SVG paths so different to other SVG shapes that you should never preffer specifying units as absolute?

I'm using it to develope a format translator from Gerber to SVG. Gerber is a vectorial format for printed circuit boards used in electronics.
In the file there are rects, circles, etc,...  that represents real life shapes with absolute dimensions in inches and mm.
I've succed to implement circles, ellipses, ovals rects etc, with SVG built in absolute meassures, but i've found I can't do the same with paths :(.
The shapes already implemented with absolute units, appears on the screen with it's real dimension and this is very helpful when previewing your design. Is there any alternative to see on the screen paths with its real dimensions?

Thanks for your reply, David ;)
José Ignacio Villar.

On 1/1/06, David Woolley < david@djwhome.demon.co.uk <mailto:david@djwhome.demon.co.uk> > wrote:

> Theres a thing I've never understood, and it is why you can't specify
> absolute units like cm or in to SVG paths?. Is there any implementation

Because the graphics would no longer be scalable?