Re: SVG12: linking restrictions vs AWWW

On Feb 5, 2006, at 7:44 AM, Chris Lilley wrote:

> On Sunday, January 29, 2006, 9:54:30 PM, Bjoern wrote:
>
> BH> Dear Scalable Vector Graphics Working Group,
>
> BH>   http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-SVGMobile12-20051207/
> linking.html fails
> BH> to meet the AWWW Good Practise "A specification SHOULD allow
> content
> BH> authors to use URIs without constraining them to a limited set
> of URI
> BH> schemes." Please either remove these restrictions or point out
> that SVG
> BH> Tiny 1.2 is not consistent with the informative AWWW document.
>
> Perhaps you could list the limited set of URI schemes that you
> claim SVG
> constrains people to, or the language that you believe limits the URI
> schemes that can be used?

In the chart Bjoern linked, there is a separate column for what
elements support "data:" URIs when linking. This implies that either
some elements support other URIs but not data:, or that some elements
support data: URIs but not others.

Just scanning the chart quickly, I found this to be the case for
"use" and "prefetch" elements. Some elements also have restrictions
on non-data URIs (such as requiring that they have a fragment
reference) that are not applied to "data:" URIs, for example "font-
face-uri" requires a fragment ID on the URI which refers to an SVG
font element but places no such restriction on "data:" URIs.

It would be better to treat data: URIs just like all others and have
no separate column for what elements support them.

Regards,
Maciej