Re: [SVGMobile12] A.7.19 gotoLocation

On Feb 5, 2006, at 8:17 AM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>> Most languages of interest support either argument defaulting, or
>> overloading based on number of arguments.
>
> But there's no way to generate function overloads from that IDL.
> That is, the IDL does not express the fact that the arguments are
> optional, so any sort of system that creates automated language
> bindings (say C++ header files in Gecko's case) from the IDL will
> not be able to handle optional arguments.

Mozilla already had to solve this problem for XMLHttpRequest, which
has methods with optional arguments on e.g. the open() method. What
approach did you guys take? (More so than the current case at hand,
which I think is out of scope for SVG anyway, I'd like Web API to
handle this properly when writing the spec for XMLHttpRequest).

Regards,
Maciej