RE: SVG12: wheelDelta should be UIEvent.detail

Hi Bjoern,

> From: Bjoern Hoehrmann [mailto:derhoermi@gmx.net]

> * Scott Hayman wrote:
> >My comment was based upon the fact that the 'detail' attribute of
> >MouseEvent from DOM Level 2 [1] "indicates the number of
> times a mouse
> >button has been pressed and released over the same screen location
> >during a user action".  As such, this attribute cannot be
> used by any
> >event that inherits from MouseEvent.
>
> It depends on the event type what context information is made
> available through the event object; the SVG Tiny 1.2 draft
> does not require imple- mentations in any way to make
> available information about mouse presses and releases
> available through SVGMousewheel event objects, especially not
> through UIEvent.detail. In terms of the DOM Event model, the
> .detail attribute is not in use for such event objects. The
> introduction of the .wheelDelta attribute is, therefore,
> completely unnecessary.

It seems odd to me, and here I am speaking on my own behalf and not that
of the WG, that an event that inherits from MouseEvent could re-use the
'detail' attribute for something other than what it is specified for by
MouseEvent.  I would think that this would be more confusing than
introducing a new attribute.

> If you think this is somehow unclear from the DOM Level 3
> Events draft, please make your case on the public-webapi
> mailing list; I can then see how to make this yet more
> obvious in the document; though note that the text you cite
> is no longer part of the DOM Events specification.

So the 'detail' attribute of MouseEvent in the DOM Level 3 Events spec
no longer contains the information about the number of button presses?
Isn't this a backwards compatibility issue?

Scott