Re: SVG12: SVGGlobal vs ELI2

On Apr 25, 2006, at 1:19 AM, Nandini Ramani wrote:

> Dear Bjoern,
>   This is an answer to your comment at:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2005Dec/0260.html
>
> The EventListenerInitializer2 interface is required for other
> language bindings besides ECMAScript
> and is a requirement for JSR226. Since we have addressed your
> original concern,
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2005Jul/0060.html
> the WG has resolved to leave this in the SVGT 1.2 spec.

EventListenerInitializer2 is meant to be implemented by Java objects
that are attached to a <handler> element. That makes sense. But why
does the global object need to implement this interface? In fact, the
description of EventListenerInitializer2 says:

"Note: Script code must not invoke the EventListenerInitializer2
methods directly (they are are only called by the User Agent
implementation during the parsing or execution of 'script',
'listener' or 'handler' elements). User Agents must prevent user
scripts from invoking the methods."

So script code couldn't call these methods on the global object, and
the UA would not call them on the global object, so claiming the
global object implements the interface makes no sense.

Regards,
Maciej