Re: SVG12: nav-* properties

Hi Dean and Bjoern,
I agree with your responses. As I remember, the SVG WG didn't really care
very much about the markup used for navigation options. There is a good
chance that if there is consensus feedback from the W3C community, then the
SVG WG will go along with that consensus without resistance.

In terms of why the SVG-t 1.2 LC uses directional navigation syntax that is
different than CSS3, I believe there were two markup approaches already in
W3C specs: the CSS3 UI markup (nav-* properties) and the XHTML2 markup
(http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/mod-hyperAttributes.html#s_hyperAttributesmodule).
The XHTML2 markup included a processing model description which looked like
a good foundation from which to build and offered some minor
simplifications versus the CSS3 appraoch. I am not sure, but I believe that
the SVG WG decided it preferred the XHTML2 approach and subsequently
decided to build its 8-way directional navigation facilities to integrate
well with nextfocus/prevfocus. In other words, the first-order decision was
whether to use CSS3 syntax ('nav-index') or XHTML2 syntax
(nextfocus/prevfocus) for "tab navigation", and then the second-order
decision is whether to make directional navigation syntax compatible with
the chosen "tab navigation" syntax.

Jon