Re: sXBL issue -- bindings getting notified when the bound element is inserted into a document

At 12:30 PM 3/23/2005 -0600, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>Peter Sorotokin wrote:
>>That would mean
>>  - binding must happen before element is ever accessed (e.g at parse
>> time and in createElementNS or similar methods)
>>  - bindings cannot be changed through styling
>>That seems to go against the direction of XBL2. We cannot have both
>>well-defined methods and dynamic binding attachment
>
>The thing is, in any sort of reasonable system you can't have objects
>randomly changing which interfaces they implement...  The issue of binding
>attachment through styling has been a major weak point of Mozilla XBL all
>along, and causes so many problems that we are strongly considering moving
>to a different, not style-related, binding mechanism altogether.

That's a good data point. This consideration was a primary motivation for
RCC to "bind" solely on the basis of the element name and namespace (which
sXBL retained). I was told that these kind of issues are never really a
problem in practice, but what you are saying indicates otherwise. However,
sXBL is a common activity with CSS group - and I wonder what that the
styling part of the TF would have to say. I agree that we need to have a
clear view on where we are headed in sXBL timeframe.

>So while attaching bindings that don't define methods or implement
>interfaces via style is a somewhat reasonable approach, bindings that
>actually implement interfaces probably need to be attached via some other
>mechanism.

That makes sense to me.

Peter