Re: sXBL issue -- bindings getting notified when the bound element is inserted into a document

Peter Sorotokin wrote:
> That would mean
>  - binding must happen before element is ever accessed (e.g at parse
> time and in createElementNS or similar methods)
>  - bindings cannot be changed through styling
>
> That seems to go against the direction of XBL2. We cannot have both
> well-defined methods and dynamic binding attachment

The thing is, in any sort of reasonable system you can't have objects randomly
changing which interfaces they implement...  The issue of binding attachment
through styling has been a major weak point of Mozilla XBL all along, and causes
so many problems that we are strongly considering moving to a different, not
style-related, binding mechanism altogether.

So while attaching bindings that don't define methods or implement interfaces
via style is a somewhat reasonable approach, bindings that actually implement
interfaces probably need to be attached via some other mechanism.

-Boris