Re: Fwd: reply to CSS WG comments on SVG 1.2

Dean Jackson wrote:
>  > b) The 'text-align' property in SVG 1.2 is different than in CSS. This
>  > makes it impossible for the property to be used in a mixed-namespace
>  > environment. We request that the property be used unchanged.
>
> It is being used unchanged. The 'text-align' property is taken from
> XSL because it is stable (REC from 2001), internationalized and does
> not have problematic values such as 'left' and 'right'.
>
> For details: http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/slice7.html#text-align

I'm sorry, but I must be missing something.  The allowed values for this
property in the cited specification are a superset of the CSS 2.1 values (and in
fact are a superset of the proposed CSS 3 Text values), and are NOT the same as
the proposed SVG 1.2 values (which are a proper subset of the CSS 3 Text values
and neither a subset nor a superset of the CSS2.1 values).  Could you please
point out what, exactly, I'm missing?

I believe the concern of the CSS WG is that per SVG 1.2 a UA cannot parse the
"text-align" CSS property without knowing whether it's being applied to an SVG
element (since if it is, per the SVG 1.2 specification of the property the UA
must throw out the declaration if "left" or "right" is the specified value).
There is no reasonable way to do this in a mixed-namespace context where the
same rule may be applied to both SVG and non-SVG elements.

-Boris