Re: Markers and all

Hi,

bulia byak wrote:

>On 6/21/05, Maxim Shemanarev <mcseem@antigrain.com> wrote:

>>I suggest to change markers' behaviour in the following way:
>>
>>1. Markers just add a vector path to the stroke and they are always rendered
>>with the current stroke color/gradient/pattern. All color, stroke, and
>>opacity properties in the marker definition are ignored.
>>

>Well, I can imagine lots of uses for markers using paint and opacity
>of their own, as well as for markers containing several parts with
>different styles. For example, this proposal would make it impossible
>to use the "white screen" workaround for the Problem 4 above. So I
>don't think I would support such a drastic change.
>
>Instead, I would propose another solution which is even somewhat
>backwards-compatible:
>
>a. Change the inheritance rule for markers in such a way that each
>instance of a marker inherits style from the path to which it is
>attached.

I think this should be possible in SVG 1.2 Full using shadowInherit.

http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-SVG12-20041027/painting.html#shadowInherit

>b. Additionally, make the fill and fill-opacity properties for marker
>inherit from stroke and stroke-opacity of its path.

I thought there was also a generic way to specify that the fill could
inherit from the stroke. The vector effects chapter talks about
'currentStroke' and 'currentFill' values.

http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-SVG12-20041027/vectoreffects.html#veFill-element

These attribute values are not defined in that version of the
specification (editing error?). This will be clarified before the next
version of specification. I searched the WG archive and it seems that
they are meant to be generic and can be used outside vector effects.

So assuming these features make it into SVG Full 1.2 (i.e. pass through
new last call phase, exit CR, etc...) you should be able to create a
marker that inherits the fill from the stroke colour of the line by
specifying:

<marker shadowInherit="onUse" fill="currentStroke" id="something" ... />

Regards,
Craig