Re: [SVGMobile12] SVGT12-207: Conflicting requirements in 5.9.3 The 'prefetch' element

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, Chris Lilley wrote:

> > In section 5.9.3 The 'prefetch' element, the various attributes seem
> > to conflict with each other. For instance, if mediaSize="1024" is set
> > on a <prefetch> element, but mediaTime="" is not, it means (according
> > to the current text) that the first kilobyte should be fetched, _and_
> > that the entire media should be fetched.
>
> Yes, you are right. 'mediaSize' and 'mediaTime' should be treated as a
> pair. We have corrected this as follows:
>
> For 'mediaSize' and 'mediaTime', we removed the sentence
>
>   If the attribute is not specified, the behavior is that the entire
>   media should be fetched.
>
> and we have changed the paragraph below the attribute definitions to say
>
>   When 'prefetch' refers to external media, if both 'mediaSize' and
>   'mediaTime' are specified, then 'mediaSize' is used and 'mediaTime' is
>   ignored. If neither 'mediaSize' nor 'mediaTime' is specified, the
>   behavior is that the entire media should be fetched.
>
> This covers all four cases (where each of mediaSize and mediaTime are
> specified or not specified).

While this is a distinct improvement, the phrasing suggested above still
lacks conformance criteria for the case where both attributes are
specified. The phraseology "is used" does not, per the definitions in your
conformance chapter, place any conformance restrictions on user agents.
This is especially relevant since there is no clear normative definition
in this section regarding what using these attributes actually means.

Please correct the specification to specify exactly what the requirements
on user agents should be when handling the <prefetch> element.