Re: SVG12: microsyntaces

* Dean Jackson wrote:
>>>   * Each reference to a non-terminal is  a link to its normative
>>>     definition
>>
>> Agreed.
>
>After further examination the Working Group decided not to
>do this at the moment. While it would be indeed useful, it's
>an unnecessary burden on the specification editors. We'll
>investigate it again in future drafts.

Yes, with absent normative definitions of the types this is indeed
a burden, where you got the "unnecessary" from is beyond me though.
An example is the <name> non-terminal as used in e.g. the glyph-name
attribute. This error has been reported at least three times on this
list. There are many more, the whole point of making the references
links is to ensure that there is actually something to refer to.

>>>   * Legal property values are defined using the syntax defined in CSS
>>>     2.1, http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/about#q7
>>>

>> Agreed.
>
>We've examined all the property definitions and made modifications
>where needed to be compatible with the CSS syntax.

The CSS syntax requires proper definitions of the non-terminals used,
as such definitions are frequently absent, there isn't really any com-
patibility here. An example is the "<float>" type for the audio-level
property.

>>>   * The number of grammar formats is reduced to the necessary extend,
>>>     e.g. paths are defined using some BNF format while syntax of
>>>     animation element attributes is defined using some EBNF format,
>>>     these should use the same format
>>>

>> Agreed.
>
>We have made it clear that our grammars use EBNF.

Section 8.3.8 and 4.1 for example don't, instead the former now
incorrectly claims it does.

>>>   * The normative definition for all such grammar formats is clearly
>>>     defined and normatively referenced
>>
>> Agreed - we think EBNF works.
>
>We've added a normative reference to the EBNF specification.

You would need to refer to CSS 2.1 1.4.2.1 as cited above aswell, for
example.