Re: SVG12: "outermost" svg element

At Tue, 24 May 2005, 00:32:03 +0200, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> So, the term "the 'svg' element" would be adequate for conforming SVG
> Tiny 1.2 content but not for non-conforming SVG Tiny 1.2 content, ex-
> cept perhaps if the document goes into error for such elements. I do
> not know the processing here though, so "the 'svg' element" might well
> be adequate.
>
> It would probably technically sound to use "outermost" as long as
> the term is well-defined, consistently used and linked to from each
> occurence. "outermost" is certainly better than "root" as "root" is
> typically used to refer to the document element as I've argued in
> http://www.w3.org/mid/41626dfc.624164240%40smtp.bjoern.hoehrmann.de

The term we will use is "rootmost svg element".
Each instance of the term (which replaces all uses of "outermost svg element",
"root-most svg element", "root svg", etc.) now points to the Definitions section,
which defines it as:

rootmost svg element

    The furthest 'svg' <http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Group/repository/spec/mobile/1.2/1.2NG/master/struct.html#SVGElement> ancestor element that does not exit an SVG context.

    Note that this definition has been carefully chosen to be applicable not
    only to SVG Tiny 1.2 (where the rootmost svg element is the only svg element,
    except when there is an svg element inside a foreignObject) but also for SVG
    Full 1.2 and SVG that uses sXBL.
    See also SVG document fragment <http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Group/repository/spec/mobile/1.2/1.2NG/master/intro.html#TermSVGDocumentFragment>.

Thank you for your feedback. Please let us know if this does not address
your concerns.

Andrew.