Re: SVG12: seeking requirements

* Craig Northway wrote:
>The working group have discussed this again. This will be clearly
>dissallowed. The UA must not reinsert elements when the document seeks
>backwards. If you are satisfied with this the text will now read:
>
>    Seeking backwards in the timeline must not re-insert the discarded
>    elements. Discarded elements are intended to be completely removed
>    from memory. So, authors are encouraged to set the 'playbackOrder'
>    attribute to forwardOnly when using the 'discard' element.

This change alone does not satisfy me, the draft would then contradict
the definition of the element which states that discarding an element
is equivalent to calling removeChild() which would no longer be true as
user agents are not prohibed from re-inserting nodes removed via that
method when seeking. I suggest to add a new section or sub-section that
clearly defines requirements for seeking which would then be linked from
the discard element definition (as I requested).

Whether this would be satisfactory to me would depend on the Working
Group's response to other issues though, I am not yet sure whether user
agents should be prohibed from implementing high-quality seeking at all.