Re: SVG12: applicability of timelineBegin

On Monday, April 18, 2005, 12:59:00 AM, Bjoern wrote:

BH> Dear Scalable Vector Graphics Working Group,

BH>   In
BH> http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-SVGMobile12-20050413/struct.html the
BH> definition of the timelineBegin attribute states:

BH> [...]
BH>   The svg element controls the global timeline, so for progressively
BH>   loaded animations, the author would typically set this attribute to
BH>   "onStart", thus allowing the nested timelines to begin as the document
BH>   is loaded.
BH> [...]

BH> The term "nested timeline" does not seem to be defined in the draft or
BH> its normative references. Please change the draft to either define the
BH> term

yes, it should be defined or replaced by 'time containers'.

BH> or use a different term. It is highly unclear when this attribute
BH> can or should be used. It seems not very useful and might trigger as yet
BH> undefined behavior.

I don't see that it would give undefined behaviour (once the term has
been defined, in terms of SMIl time containers).

BH>  A typical problem with onStart would be animation
BH> elements with a begin time of 0s which would have begun before they are
BH> part of the document

No because the timeline starts either when the load event is triggered,
or when the individual elements load (as determined by this attribute).
Why would a resolved begin time that has already passed be a problem?
SMIL defines very precisely how to handle this situation.

BH>  or when scripting is used to construct parts of the
BH> document. Please change the draft to include a verbose discussion as to
BH> when this attribute is useful and does not yield in undefined behavior.

How about we define the term (or use another already defined term) and
point to SMIL 2.0 for the discussion?

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead