Re: [sXBL] 4.2 Processing content elements

Jim Ley wrote:
> Is it really logical for the W3 to have 2 selector models which solve
> identical problems in slightly different ways...  maybe it's an issue not
> for individual working groups to solve...

No it's not, but the continued existence of both is historical. To be
honest, the two have very different design goals: CSS is made to select
very fast in dynamically rendered situations, and in order to get there
it is vastly underfeatured and in a number of cases very ad hoc compared
to XPath; XPath on its side is meant to be elegant and generic, and
while it'll be slower it gives one much much more expressive power.

So, I don't think it'll be possible to make everyone happy by chosing
one, especially as both have strong active communities. We'll have to
find a third approach.

--
Robin Berjon