Re: SVG 1.2 tiny

Hi James,

James Bentley wrote:

> GZip is required by Tiny?
> This has 2 negatives.

> 1, you must unzip to memory - Gzip is not stream compression.

    I guess it's not clear to me exactly what you mean here.
But I would consider deflate compression streamable (deflate is
what gzip is based on), you can decompress an arbitrarily long file
with a fixed working buffer. Assuming you are sending the decompressed
stream to something like a SAXParser (also stream based) you can
interpret the entire file  without ever having the entire document in
memory.

    Note that gzip is not zip.  Zip as I understand it has a table of
contents at the end of the file, although the individual files are
deflate compressed.

> 2, compression and decompression take CPU cycles away from devices that have
> a hard time just doing the animations.

    Unless of course it has hardware support for decompression
(which is increasingly common to support other types of streamed
media).

> I like the binary XML.

    It can be a nice solution if you are in a 'closed' world.