Re: sXBL: Proprietary attributes on sXBL elements

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

>   I have been unable to find a section in the latest sXBL Working Draft
> that defines whether a document with [...] are "conforming", "in error",
> etc.

>   <xbl:xbl foo = "bar" ...>

This is obviously not conforming XBL, since there is no "foo" attribute
defined for the "xbl" element in the XBL namespace. However, it is not in
error (and the SVG rules for handling errors thus doesn't apply), since
the spec doesn't say it is in error.

In XBL2 the error handling rules will be quite different (namely, the
default error handling behaviour should be the HTML- and CSS- style
"muddle on through", albeit with much more strictly defined mechanisms for
doing the muddling on; host languages like SVG will however be able to
define stricter rules when XBL is used inside documents that use their
namespace, much like SVG1.2 does with sXBL).

>   <xbl:xbl xmlns:foo = "urn:foo" ...>

This is fine, as defined by [XMLNS].

>   <xbl:xbl xmlns:foo = "urn:foo" foo:bar = "baz" ...>

Whether this is conforming or not depends entirely on the specification
defining the urn:foo namespace.

> if there is such a section please make it more visible and clear, if
> there is no such section, please define this in detail.

I don't understand what there is to define here. It seems pretty obvious.