Re: SVG 1.2 Comment: Streaming

Jim Ley wrote:
> There's not really a concept of background colours in SVG to date, so
> I'm not sure of the relevance, my use of  background is not in the
> technical CSS sense here, but in the general case.

I'm not sure what this sentence means.  Could you please explain?

> Certainly this is a problem HTML authors have

If we're talking about implementing SVG in web browsers, that goes hand in hand
with those same HTML authors starting to author SVG (and do so badly, most likely).

> I don't think it's a good example.

That's ignoring a target market.  There are lot more people our there capable of
poorly authoring SVG than there are capable of authoring it well.  The former
will start authoring it as soon as there are enough examples for them to copy-paste.

> One thing to remember is that progressive rendering has
> already been shown to work in the user agents we have today, they all do
> it

Mozilla does not, and doesn't really have much in the way of plans to in the
near future (say in the next year).

Part of my point was that for a UA that chooses to NOT do progressive rendering,
which is not prohibited by the specification, the timeline part of the
specification is underdefined.

> all we're discussing here is how animation goes along

Well, we're discussing how timelines interact with rendering and whether
timelines should proceed whether or not rendering is happening.

-Boris