Re: SVG 1.2 Comment: image/svg+xml;charset=""

Chris Lilley wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 24, 2004, 9:49:39 PM, Anne wrote:
>
> AvK> Chris Lilley wrote:
>
>>> Remarkably terse, but not very helpful. By 'where" I was meaning
>>> a quoted section.
>>>
>>> Are you asserting that the following instance, encoded in UTF-16
>>>
>>> <?xml version="1.0"?> <foo>Hello World</foo>
>>>
>>> with this header

>>> gets treated as UTF-8? If not, what did you mean above? If so,
>>> why?
>
> AvK> Because if no specific encoding is given, it should be treated
> as UTF-8 AvK> for application/xml.
>
> Again, I'm going to ask you to quote specific text in support of your
>  argument.

Here are some relevant snippets:

# 8.20 INCONSISTENT EXAMPLE: Text/xml with UTF-8 Charset
#
#
# <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
#
# Since the charset parameter is provided in the Content-Type header,
# MIME and XML processors MUST treat the enclosed entity as UTF-8
# encoded.  That is, the "iso-8859-1" encoding MUST be ignored.
#
# Processors generating XML MIME entities MUST NOT label conflicting
# charset information between the MIME Content-Type and the XML
# declaration.

... and:

# 8.10 Application/xml with Omitted Charset and UTF-8 Entity
#
#
# <?xml version='1.0'?>
#
# In this example, the charset parameter has been omitted, and there is
#  no BOM.  Since there is no BOM, the XML processor follows the
# requirements in section 4.3.3 of [XML], and optionally applies the
# mechanism described in Appendix F (which is non-normative) of [XML]
# to determine the charset encoding of UTF-8.  The XML MIME entity does
#  not contain an encoding declaration, but since the encoding is
# UTF-8, this is still a conforming XML MIME entity.
#
# An XML-unaware MIME processor SHOULD make no assumptions about the
# charset of the XML MIME entity.

--
  Anne van Kesteren
  <http://annevankesteren.nl/>