Re: Flowtext and Orientation

On Tuesday, November 23, 2004, 2:27:45 PM, Doug wrote:

DS> Hi, folks-

DS> The 1.2 draft mentions how vertically-oriented text is handled, but it
DS> doesn't address text on an angle other than 0 or 90 degrees.

That is a transformation, not a writing direction. With the exception of
the Phaistos disk and Mayan, all writing systems are either horizontal
or vertical; graphical effects can make them appear at other angles
(text on a path, radial text, etc) but the actual writing direction is
one or the other.

DS> Also, there is the issue of mixed orientation, such as a 'flowSpan'
DS> with vertical orientation emebedded in a 'flowPara' with horizontal
DS> orientation. This is a practical consideration, since Japanese
DS> documents often have mixed orientations depending on the writing
DS> system they are using for a section of text. Will a strip be laid
DS> out for this text, or is mixed orientation not allowed?

Mixed orientation is typically at the block level.

DS> Also, I think that there should be a way to explicitly set line-height. Say,
DS> for example, a 'line-height' attribute. It might be the case that the author
DS> deliberately wants to overlap lines of text/images.

I tend to agree, we should look at what XSL does here.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group