Re: Styling conflict

On Thursday, November 18, 2004, 9:26:02 PM, Boris wrote:

BZ> Chris Lilley wrote:
>> CSS 2.0, referenced by SVG 1.0 and 1.1, says that the specificity of the
>> style attribute is 100 and that the specificity of a single id selector
>> is also 100.

BZ> This is handled in the CSS2.0 errata [1], which agree with CSS2.1.  So there's
BZ> no ambiguity at this point, as far as I can see.

Once they become normative, which is done by publishing a second
edition; which the CSS WG does not plan to do since CSS 2.1 is the
replacement, so CSS2 is abandoned. Hence the problem. We can see they
way that the specificity is likely to pan out, but equally we don't have
a stable reference for it.

>> BZ> Does the CSS 1.1 test suite not have a test for this?

BZ> I meant "SVG 1.1" of course (there is no CSS 1.1).

Ah, okay. I thought you had mistyped 2.1 as 1.1. Thats the problem with
silent error correction, its often incorrect.

BZ> I agree that this would need to be tested in the CSS 2.1 test suite, which would
BZ> perhaps obviate the need for the SVG test suite to also test it...

If the CSS test suite was independent of markup language. It isn't,
though, and it would be hard to make it so, so it needs to be tested in
both places; in the CSS test suite for HTML, and in the SVG test suite
for SVG.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group