Re: Reconsider SVG 1.2

"Philippe Lhoste" <PhiLho@GMX.net> wrote in message
news:419B6761.1070709@GMX.net...
> That's why I am surprised by your statement that CSS is rarely used in
> real world documents.

The reasons it's rarely used are many fold, here's a few that I know of.

   It's optional, many user agents do not support it, so if you're authoring
for widest possible support including mobile, you don't use it - even if
you're not targetting any player but ASV now, you don't cut yourself from
the other UA's unless you have to.

   Authoring tools avoid it, because it's not available everywhere, and it's
more complicated to author ( you need to make sure that your specificity of
your selectors is accurate, if you do that the easy way your CSS is no
smaller as you don't get any re-use.)

   It complicates scripting - because CSS properties are always higher
specificity than attribute properties, it means you have to do
setAttributeNS(null,'style','construct a string of all style
operties')   -  this is both slower and more complicated than just setting
the stroke-width attribute.

My biggest complaint though, is the problem with the user stylesheet,
because in CSS the user stylesheet rules supreme, the user stylesheet can
render your images inaccessible, this I think shows clearly why CSS should
not be used to style rendered semantics, and why the specificity of SVG
attribute properties is wrong.  Hopefully the WG will address this issue of
mine I've had since 1.1 as part of the 1.2 LC, as it obviously all applies
to 1.2 as none of this has changed.

Cheers,

Jim.