Re: SVG 1.2 Comment: vector effects

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, Peter Sorotokin wrote:

> The solutions that you suggest were all reviewed and rejected because
> they do not address the problems that vector effects are trying to
> solve. There is a very strong demand for these features from the mapping
> and schematics community. In short:
>
> - there is a need to scale stroke outlines and stroke/fill patterns
> differently from the rest of graphics

It seems like the simplest way to do this would be to use a new unit, one
that didn't scale with the zoom.

> - there is a need to assign multiple strokes and fills to an object (drawing
> tools had this for long time)

This could be done in the same way that the CSS working group is handling
multiple backgrounds on elements, namely, let the 'fill' and 'stroke'
properties take multiple comma-separated values.

> - there is a need to "set back" strokes around the markers while
> preserving actual path data
> - there is a need to reuse edges in several shapes (esp. on maps)

Not sure what you mean by these, could you give examples?

> - all of the above should integrate with animation (e.g, path animation)
> and not cause substantial file size bloat.

The two proposals I list above (a new unit and allowing multiple values
on two propeties) seem to handle this.

I'm not denying tha there are use cases for the vector effects work. All
I'm saying is that to handle 90% of these use cases, it seems like a
significantly simpler model could be used, instead of introducing
something that, frankly, is frightening in its complexity.