Re: SVG 1.2 Comment: vector effects

At 08:45 AM 10/31/2004 +0000, Ian Hickson wrote:
> > 9 Vector effects
>
>While I am sure there is demand for such features, and while I am sure
>such features can be used to create great effects, it still seems like
>this is feature creep. Many of the effects achievable by the
>mechanisms described in this section are also possible by careful use
>of <path>, use of different markers, and existing options on the
>"fill" and "stroke" attributes.
>
>It would seem better to have the authoring tools effectively
>"prerender" the vector effects than to require that all the SVG user
>agents support an entire chapter's worth of additional features.

The solutions that you suggest were all reviewed and rejected because they
do not address the problems that vector effects are trying to solve. There
is a very strong demand for these features from the mapping and schematics
community. In short:

- there is a need to scale stroke outlines and stroke/fill patterns
differently from the rest of graphics
- there is a need to assign multiple strokes and fills to an object
(drawing tools had this for long time)
- there is a need to "set back" strokes around the markers while preserving
actual path data
- there is a need to reuse edges in several shapes (esp. on maps)
- all of the above should integrate with animation (e.g, path animation)
and not cause substantial file size bloat.

Peter