Re: [OT] Re: SVG on the Desktop

On Wed, 2004-03-24 at 15:38 +0100, Tobias Reif wrote:

> P.S.
>
> On Wed 2004-03-24 I wrote:
> > On Tue 2004-03-23 Christian Schaller wrote:
> > > I thought I just point people here to my article on the use of SVG
> > > in the desktop. It summarizes the work we have done are and are
> > > doing with utilizing SVG in the Linux/Unix desktop:
> > > http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=6460
> >
> > Great article, thanks! I mainly use KDE, but perhaps Novell/Suse 10
> > will ship with a good GNOME (SVG) desktop :)
>
> I'll probably stay with KDE, but if Gnome becomes fully SVG-based I
> might consider switching ...

Making GNOME be marinated with SVG everywhere is my goal so maybe you
will switch, that said I am happy as long as you use any of the free
desktop options available :)

The request you had to be able to scale 'everything' is exactly what we
are aiming for.

> Or Novell will ship Suse 10 with a unified GNOME/KDE desktop, which
> seems to be what they're planning [1]. Not sure if that's a good idea
> though.
I saw the announcement and is quite curios to see what it means in
practice :)

> > BTW, Sodipodi already is very useful (just remember to save you work
> > often enough :), and those who use Illustrator to create Linux icons
> > could check out
> > http://zeus.qballcow.nl/icons.php
> > "QNX Gnome Theme 0.3.7
> > [...]
> > I made the whole icons using Sodipodi."
>
> BTW, I can browse the above icon set using GQview 1.4.1 (it probably
> uses librsvg), and Konqueror (eg when used as file browser with icon
> view and KSVG set as embedded renderer for SVG; KDE 3.2.1) also
> renders some of them (around 10%).

What we did is that we wrote a plugin using librsvg for the standard
GTK+ image loader. This gave all GNOME and GTK+ apps instant access to
render all SVG images. The downside of this was that the images where
scaled after they where loaded which kinda sucks. These bugs are now
mostly fixed with the new GTK+ version where API's more attuned for
vector graphics where added.

Christian