Re: [OT] Re: SVG on the Desktop

On Thu 2004-03-25 Christian Schaller wrote:
> > I'll probably stay with KDE, but if Gnome becomes fully SVG-based
> > I might consider switching ...
>
> Making GNOME be marinated with SVG everywhere is my goal so maybe
> you will switch, that said I am happy as long as you use any of the
> free desktop options available :)

Top be honest my goal is to make *me* happy, but if something I do
makes you happy as well than that's great :)

> The request you had to be able to scale 'everything' is exactly what
> we are aiming for.

Great! For example: main menu -> "desktop" -> "size" -> opens a slider
which scales the whole interface in real-time.

> > BTW, I can browse the above icon set using GQview 1.4.1 (it
> > probably uses librsvg), and Konqueror (eg when used as file
> > browser with icon view and KSVG set as embedded renderer for SVG;
> > KDE 3.2.1) also renders some of them (around 10%).
>
> What we did is that we wrote a plugin using librsvg for the standard
> GTK+ image loader. This gave all GNOME and GTK+ apps instant access
> to render all SVG images. The downside of this was that the images
> where scaled after they where loaded which kinda sucks.

Yes, when I zoom into the icons in GQview I see upscaled bitmaps. The
icons of the icon images on the left also are of bad quality because
of that.

> These bugs are now mostly fixed with the new GTK+ version where
> API's more attuned for vector graphics where added.

Great!

Tobi

--
Vim users, don't forget to