Re: [www-svg] <none>

On Fri 19 Mar 2004, Chris Lilley wrote:

> On Friday, March 19, 2004, 3:12:12 PM, Jan-Klaas wrote:
>
> JKK> Hi,
>
> >> Obviously depending on the Unicode Tab character
> >> doesn't
> >> work in all situations (such as on a mobile phone).
>
> That isn't obvious at all.

This was me, so I'll answer.

I'll plead ignorance and ask: what character do you expect to
get for a navigation request on a palm pilot? Is navigation
always the TAB key (it is on Windows, Mac and Linux)?
If it isn't, what event do you expect to get?

Maybe DOM3 Events already answers all this, but I didn't see it.

> Please feel free to explain why its obvious, but I suspect i will then
> quote parts of the DOM 3 events spec in reply regarding input methods.

I'm not saying that you can't produce an input event corresponding
to the TAB character, I'm simply questioning whether our advice
of "catching the TAB-key event and overriding it" is correct
on all platforms (to override navigation).

> JKK> I like the idea of navigation events which are
> JKK> independent from how they are initiated (by keyd or
> JKK> foot paddels or what ever).
>
> That is certainly a possibility, if a limited set can be devised.

Dean