RE: [SVG 1.2] Make it less complex!

Hi, Philippe-

Obviously, Bjoern was exercising a delicious bit of wit. But for those
daunted by SVG programming (APIs and such), I strongly recommend Gavin
Kistner's ObjJob, which is a great interface lookup:
http://phrogz.net/ObjJob/ . For those that want to learn the basics of SVG
itself, I recommend the O'Reilly book by Eisenberg, SVG Essentials. It's a
good overview and reference.

BTW, I disagre with Bjoern... I think the Spec should simply be done in SVG,
so you can zoom way out before printing.

Regards-
-Doug

Philippe Lhoste wrote:

| [OT]
| In-Reply-To=<40fa5225.95783329@smtp.bjoern.hoehrmann.de>
| References=<40fa5225.95783329@smtp.bjoern.hoehrmann.de>
|
| I tried not to break this wonderful thread but I subscribed
| only recently to the mailing list so I can access this
| message only by Web interface. I have the "respond to this
| message" link, but for some reason Mozilla failed to register
| itself as default e-mail client for my Win98SE system and I
| certainly don't want to use Outlook Express to send this message!
|
| I even tried to edit the source of the message but Mozilla
| doesn't allow me to do that (fortunately...) and I didn't
| dare to save as draft (which fails anyway!?) and edit it by
| hand on the Draft mail archives...
| [/OT]
|
| Dear Bjoern Hoehrmann,
|
| I couldn't agree more with you: as a newcomer to SVG, I find
| the specification quite daunting... Actually, I came see it
| around 1999 and was repelled by the sheer size of the spec
| and the fact there wasn't any tutorial on the subject (or
| didn't found any).
|
| Although I am a bit surprised by your assertion:
|  > Testings showed that already the last four steps reduce
| the complexity  > and implementation cost of the SVG
| specification to less than one  > third
|
| I don't see how reducing the number of dead trees necessary
| to print the specification (which is already an honourable
| goal) can reduce the implementation cost, but I probably
| missed something.
|
|  > I could even think of just a single printed page!
|
| It can be only some few words:
|
| Make a drawing on a sheet of paper with whatever tool you
| have handy (pen, pencil, brush, finger...).
| Scan this drawing.
| You are done.
|
| Of course, as it is too simplistic, we can extend it to more
| tools and medias, like canvas, Etch-a-Sketch, and such, but
| this is already introducing too much complexity.
|
| [MODE class="SERIOUS"]
| I suppose this answer a lot of complains, like the one I made
| to myself (see above)...
|
| But I really wish to have a handy quick reference, cutting
| most of the "verbosity" of the specification, skipping small
| details, omitting DOM (which can belong to another
| reference), etc. But mentionnig each and every parameter.
|
| This would not be a reference for implementors, of course,
| but for end users which want to get in pace quickly. Knowing
| of course that once user get accainted with the whole
| picture, he/she should read the whole specification as I do
| currently. It is much less intimidating once you got the grasp of SVG.
| And it will remain a good tool while hand-coding SVG files.
|
| There are now a lot of good tutorials on the Web, but I am
| not aware of such quick reference.
|
| Of course, that's certainly not the role of the W3C to
| release such a document! :-) [/MODE]
|
| --
| Philippe Lhoste
> [...]

---