RE: consideration for SVG 1.2

Comments below.

-----Original Message-----
From: Robin Berjon [mailto:robin.berjon@expway.fr]
Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 12:07 PM
To: James Bentley
Cc: 'www-svg@w3.org'
Subject: Re: consideration for SVG 1.2

James Bentley wrote:
> Please consider allowing 'tref' elements to reference 'switch' elements.
Our
> current product has a need to provide conditional text based on resources
> available on the platform (i.e. 'externalResourcesRequired'). In this
> manner,
> we can support our conditional text insertion, and inherit the proper
> styling.

In SVG 1.1 tref can reference *any* element, and its full textual
content will be used (without the markup). I assume that what you want
is for switch to do its conditional processing before tref does its
inclusion, otherwise you get all of switch's content, right?

[James Bentley]  Yes, that would be desirable. However, I would feel
more comfortable if tref elements could only reference elements that
resolve to text. This does assume that the resolution can be made before
the tref element is bound.

The problem I see with this is that you if you take into account switch
you might as well take into account display, or foreignObject, or a
variety of other things (which'll break backcompat) -- special-casing
for switch feels a bit wrong. Also, the functionality needed for tref to
extract the text is already needed by DOM's textContent attribute, so
it's reusing existing code.

[James Bentley]  Actually, I like the idea of extending it to foreignObject.
If you have to break backward compatibility, wouldn't now
be the time? Unfortunately, this may be a special case, but, I would like
our
player implementation to follow, as closely as possible, the spec.

[James Bentley] Thanks.

--
Robin Berjon