Sockets in SVG [was Re: Grid In 1.2?]

On Thu 08 Jul 2004, Ian Hickson wrote:

> Grids seem related to vector graphics, so no, I don't have anything
> against grids in SVG.
>
> Network sockets, on the other hand...

As we've said in a number of places, we agree that sockets should not
really be in the SVG language specification, but we have an absolute
requirement that they be available to SVG 1.2.

We're implementing them in such as way that they can be used
by other technologies, or ignored by other technologies. In
many cases they have already been implemented.

We look forward to exposing this work, and the many other
APIs found in SVG 1.2, to a group with a broader focus.

NOTE: I should say that the current public SVG 1.2 specification
has some borken APIs. We expect to publish a (more) fixed
version real soon now.