Re: Grid In 1.2?

"Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch> wrote in message
news:Pine.LNX.4.58.0407081303320.18162@dhalsim.dreamhost.com...
> Wouldn't putting that kind of content in SVG be equivalent to putting it
> in XSL:FO, or PDF? I would have thought that kind of markup would be much
> more appropriate in a semantic markup language rather than a
> presentational language.

Yet you then suggest a solution that uses a presentational language
(display: table-cell etc.)  so I'm not exactly sure what the objection you
have is?   Yes the example was perhaps poorly chosen in that it was much
more appropriate in HTML - but lets use an example of SVG graphics
representing Bliss symbols and it becomes much clearer why it's appropriate
to have in SVG.

> This altogether seems significantly better overall than the version you
> proposed, which is extremely reminiscent of the whole content-tables-
> used-for-layout nonsense that I thought we were trying to get away from:

That would be in semantic languages, SVG is a rendering language so markup
for layout is entirely appropriate, just like it's appropriate in SVG - but
with CSS being only optional for SVG user agents, we can't rely on it.

Jim.