Re: Few SVGT1.2 comments

On Thu 01 Jul 2004, Chris Lilley wrote:

> On Thursday, July 1, 2004, 1:09:29 AM, Gillette wrote:
>

> GCW> Hi all,
>
> Hi Christophe
>
> GCW> I just have some questions or comments about the new draft of the Mobile
> GCW> specification:
> GCW> 1) preserveAspectRatio values are limited in Tiny 1.2 like in its
> GCW> previous version. However, I don't think this limitation is required
> GCW> (images do support all the values of the preserveAspectRatio attribute).
> GCW> There is definitely no extra weight for the implementation, so why
> GCW> introduce this limitation?
>
> Its partly to make it lighter weight and partly because, of all the
> different values, the option to center the image in the viewport such
> that the entire image is displayed while preserving the aspect ratio is,
> in fact, what is wanted 99.99% of the time. Have you ever seen someone
> specify they want it in the bottom right of the viewport?

I've often wanted it in the top-left or top-center.
"often" = I would guess 5-10% of the time :)

> GCW> 3) I don't see anything mentioned about pointer-events (because the
> GCW> Attributes Index is not yet added I guess).
>
> Sorry about that. We are trying to automate this rather than use
> error-prone hand written appendices.

Chris is spot on. I added the element index by hand, which was
not difficult. The attribute index however..... we're going to
do this automatically.

> GCW>  I don't see any reason why
> GCW> it should not be in Tiny. In some circonstances and when correctly used,
> GCW> it can greatly improve the responsiveness of an SVG file.
>
> I tend to agree.

pointer-events? I assume you mean onclick etc?
Seeing as they were not in SVGT 1.1, and SVGT 1.2 adds
XML Events, I suggest we avoid onwhatever's as much as
possible. You should use <handler> (as a child of the
element you want to click on).

eg.

<circle r="20">
  <handler type="text/ecmascript" ev:event="click">
     var c = evt.target;
     c.setAttribute("fill", "blue");
  </handler>
</circle>

Maybe "text/ecmascript" should be the default to cut
down on verbosity.

Of course, we still need to specify what events the
<handler> can listen for.

Dean