Re: Third release of Constraint SVG browser

Hi Cameron

On Fri 2004-02-27 Cameron McCormack wrote:
[...]
> > The advantage of declarative animation statements (such as
> > SMIL/SVG) is that the motion's resolution (eg fps) is not set in
> > stone and can thus be adapted and optimized. The same animation
> > can be performed with 50 fps on a fast machine, with 10 fps on a
> > tiny phone, or with "perfect resolution" by a robot.
>
> Why would this not be the case for animations written in terms of
> some function?

It is not the case for your code I commented on:

<rect x="0" y="0" width="100" height="100">
  <!-- move 20 units every second -->
  <c:constraint attributeName="x" value="20 * c:time()"/>
</rect>

As your inline comment correctly states the resolution (fps) is set in
stone.

"Some function" or some code definitely can animate something in a way
that the animation will run in different resolutions depending on
various (environment) parameters, or even without a fixed fps rate =
variable frame pauses. For example: Check the current real time, check
where the object should be next (eg a percentage of the specified
duration and distance), then move it there; after this has been
finished start with the next iteration. The frame pause can vary each
time depending on how long it took the machine to calculate and render
the last frame.

> > How did you implement the XSLT and XPath stuff; were you able to
> > leverage existing libs?
>
> Yes, I pretty much just dropped in Apache's Xalan.

Great! When you want to try XSLT 2.0 you could see if you can use
parts of Saxon.

Tobi

--
Vim users, don't forget to